Learn how TricorBraun's swift action & packaging expertise turned Project Clean into a repeat customer.
BTU+ Diesel Fuel Improver
Learn more about how TricorBraun helped Lubrication Engineers develop new packaging with a strong shelf presence.
Prestone Stop Leak
TricorBraun creates engaging packaging for Prestone’s new Stop Leak Products that help peak consumer interest.
First Place Finish Car Care System
New Packaging by TricorBraun Polishes First Place Finish Car Care System’s Brand Image
For 28 years, Metrotech Automotive has been selling its high quality First Place Finish car care system to auto dealerships across the United States. The dealers in turn resell the system, primarily to purchasers of premier cars by manufacturers like Lexus, Mercedes and BMW. Last year, Metrotech launched a redesign of its brand, from logo to website, to project a more distinctive and upscale brand image. It began the redesign with the First Place Finish car care kit. There are five products in the car care system kit: Exterior Renewer, Sudsless Fabric Cleaner, Vinyl & Leather Conditioner, Car Wash Concentrate and Water Base Tire Dressing. The bottles are packaged in an attractive simulated leather case designed and sourced for Metrotech by Consortium 360.
Metrotech’s goal was to continue to project a “hard” image invoking the steel and chrome that would touch car lovers, but refining the industrial look of its earlier kits into a more technical look.
“We have had the same brand graphics and packaging for more than 15 years,” says Steve Kessel, Metrotech’s Chief Financial Officer, “and the car care kit packaging had an industrial look. That look was intentional, since we were dealing with cars — products made with steel and chrome. But this year we decided it was time to align our products more closely with the buyers of the upscale cars we are targeting.”
Metrotech worked closely with TricorBraun to design the new custom bottles of the 5-part car care system, and with marketing consultant Red Moon Marketing, to redesign the First Place Finish logo and package graphics.
The new 12-ounce bottles designed by TricorBraun replace the previous kit’s simple round bottle with an octagonal bottle that is molded with raised ribs on each side for a more secure grip while also adding visually to the overall technical design theme. That theme is further reinforced with silver and black shrink sleeve labels that prominently display the new First Place Finish logo and identify each product descriptor. TricorBraun and sleeve manufacturer Atlantic Packaging collaborated to achieve the desired final label look on the complex bottle shape.
Metrotech and TricorBraun partnered to investigate various packaging materials, given the need for compatibility with product formulas, a focus on resin prices and the need for a competitively priced bottle. Ultimately, Metrotech decided on PET for the bottles.
The new First Place Finish kit was introduced to dealers in June 2014 and immediately received positive dealer feedback. According to Kessel, they were especially impressed with the more upscale brand image of the new kit.
TricorBraun Design & Engineering Group is a business unit of TricorBraun, one of North America’s leading providers of rigid, corrugated and flexible packaging. Our team’s primary mission is to design, engineer and manage the development, production and commercialization of custom packaging solutions for personal care, cosmetics, healthcare, food and beverage, industrial household chemical and animal health products. It is supported by TricorBraun’s more than 40 offices globally, holding one of the largest inventories of rigid packaging components worldwide.
Download Case Study
Our Case Studies about the packaging industry tell the full story behind some of our very best packaging solutions. To save a copy of this specific case study, just click the button below.
- SKU#: 5034311000 ml Clear PET Plastic Bottle 28-410 Neck FinishSpecial Order Item. Minimums apply.
- SKU#: 2604741 Liter Clear PET Plastic Sauce Bottle 33-400 Neck FinishSpecial Order Item. Minimums apply.
- SKU#: 29953716 oz Amber PET Plastic Boston Round Bottle 28-410 Neck FinishSpecial Order Item. Minimums apply.
- SHIPS FREESKU#: 026516300 cc White HDPE Plastic Round Packer Bottle 45-400 Neck FinishStarting at $86.61 Case
- SHIPS FREESKU#: 28080089-400 White PP Plastic Continuous Thread Lined Closure - Fs5-10 Printed Vented LinerStarting at $125.34 Case
- SHIPS FREESKU#: 28079889-400 White PP Plastic Continuous Thread Lined Closure - Printed FS5-10 LinerStarting at $129.44 Case
- SHIPS FREESKU#: 28079989-400 Black PP Plastic Continuous Thread Lined Closure - Printed Fs5-10 LinerStarting at $132.03 Case
- SHIPS FREESKU#: 28080689-400 White PP Plastic Continuous Thread Lined Closure - Printed FS5-10 LinerStarting at $127.27 Case
- SHIPS FREESKU#: 14549889-400 Black PP Plastic Continuous Thread Lined Closure - Heat Seal and C1S/FS 5-9 LinersStarting at $134.73 Case
- SHIPS FREESKU#: 26266132 oz Amber PET Plastic Bullet Round Bottle 28-410 Neck FinishStarting at $44.02 Case
More Industrial Chemical Case Studies
Browse all of our Industrial Chemical case studies to learn more about our process, our partners and our winning solutions.