In today's environmentally conscious world, sustainability has become a significant focus across various industries. One solution gaining momentum is the use of Post-Consumer Recycled (PCR) plastic in packaging. PCR plastic, as its name suggests, is made from recycled materials, specifically consumer waste like plastic bottles and containers.
By embracing PCR plastic, businesses can significantly reduce their reliance on fossil fuels and raw materials in production, minimizing their environmental impact and footprint. In this article, we explore the applications of PCR plastic, its benefits, considerations, and the resources TricorBraun offers to meet sustainability goals.
What is PCR Plastic Used For?
PCR plastic finds application in a wide range of industries and products. It is commonly used in the manufacturing of packaging materials such as bottles, jars, and containers for personal care items, cleaning supplies, food, beverages, and more. TricorBraun offers PCR plastic bottles for businesses in different sectors packaging products such as shampoos, lotions, and supplements. Explore TricorBraun's range of PCR plastic packaging options.
What is Virgin Resin?
Virgin resin refers to plastic made from new, non-recycled materials. Unlike PCR material, which utilizes post-consumer waste sourced from recycling programs and recycling facilities, virgin resin relies on raw materials derived from fossil fuels. It is commonly used in various industries and packaging applications, offering a wide range of physical properties and customization options. While virgin resin has its place in packaging, the rising popularity of PCR plastic demonstrates the increasing demand for sustainable alternatives in today's plastic materials market.
TircorBraun teamed up with Project Clean to create a 100% PCR bottles and containers for their product line.
Advantages of PCR Packaging
Using PCR plastic in packaging offers several advantages, contributing to both environmental sustainability and brand reputation. Some key benefits include:
- Reduced Carbon Footprint: By utilizing post-consumer waste, PCR plastic reduces the consumption of fossil fuels and energy required in the production of new plastic, resulting in lower greenhouse gas emissions.
- Resource Conservation: PCR plastic reduces the demand for virgin resin, conserving valuable natural resources such as petroleum and natural gas.
- Waste Minimization: Incorporating PCR plastic into packaging promotes the circular economy by diverting plastic waste from landfills, fully embracing the recycling process and extending the useful life of materials.
- Consumer Appeal: As eco-consciousness grows, consumers are increasingly favoring brands that demonstrate their commitment to sustainability. Using PCR packaging allows businesses to align with consumer values and strengthen their brand image.
Things to Consider Before Using PCR Packaging
While PCR plastic presents numerous advantages, it is important to consider specific factors before transitioning from virgin resin to PCR packaging. Some considerations include:
- Regulatory Compliance: Ensure compliance with regional regulations and certifications related to the use of PCR plastic, as these may vary.
- Quality and Performance: Evaluate PCR plastic's physical properties, such as clarity, strength, and barrier properties, to ensure they meet the specific requirements of your product.
- Supply and Availability: Assess the availability of PCR plastic in sufficient quantities to meet your packaging needs, considering potential fluctuations in supply chains.
- Cost Considerations: Understand the potential cost implications associated with PCR plastic, including any additional processing or sourcing expenses.
TricorBraun is committed to providing sustainable packaging solutions tailored to your unique requirements. We offer a wide range of stock and custom PCR plastic packaging options, enabling businesses to align with environmental goals while maintaining brand integrity. To explore our extensive packaging solutions or discuss your specific needs, talk to a TricorBraun packaging consultant today.
The rise of PCR plastic in packaging signifies a significant step towards a more sustainable and environmentally friendly future. By harnessing the advantages of PCR plastic and considering important factors, businesses can make informed decisions to reduce their environmental footprint while meeting consumer demands. Embrace the power of PCR plastic and join the journey toward a greener, more responsible approach to eco friendly packaging.
TALK TO A PACKAGING CONSULTANT
Whether you’re looking for a stock package or a groundbreaking custom design, TricorBraun’s proven process will guide your packaging decisions from napkin sketch all the way to the retail shelf.